For many Floridians, summertime is a chance to get outdoors and experience The Sunshine State’s popular coastal paradises. However, as summer draws to an end, Central Florida homeowners know to turn their focus toward their roof as this time of year also represents the start of hurricane and tropical storm season.
To best ensure your roof will continue to effectively serve you for years to come, prepare it to weather the storm with the following end-of-summer roof maintenance and safety tips.
7 Storm Season Roof Preparedness Tips
Here are a few maintenance and safety tips to apply to your roof ahead of storm season.
- Remove debris – Remove debris that may have collected over the summer. Twigs and branches can damage your shingles and poke holes in your roof. Such punctures can eventually lead to water leaks and damage.
- Clean your gutters – It is important to regularly clear out your gutters to prevent water pooling and soaking underneath your shingles as this can cause extensive damage, mold growth, and attract bugs.
- Trim trees around the roof – With enough wind, a fallen branch or limb can significantly damage your roof during a severe storm. Therefore, trimming back your trees and removing any overhanging branches will prevent debris from falling on your roof and possibly causing serious damage and leaks down the line.
- Replace damaged parts – Sometimes strong winds can cause shingles to loosen and break away. If you notice any broken shingles or other visible signs of damage that needs to be addressed, have them fixed or replaced to ensure that your roof is secure.
- Do not power wash your roof – Shingles can be damaged and stripped by a high-powered pressure washer, so never power wash your roof.
- Seal seams – You can use roofing tar to seal the seams of your roof. This is because the creases and corners of a roof are typically where the leaks start.
- Inspect your roof – Carefully inspect your roof from the ground and from on top to make sure there are no weak spots or places where shingles may be lifting or splitting apart. More importantly, enlist the help of a local roofer to look your roof over and suggest what you can do to get your home storm-ready at summer’s end.
The Importance of a Professional End-of-Summer Roof Inspection
Before hurricane season ramps up, it’s always important to have your roof thoroughly inspected by a roofing expert. A professional roofer will have the experience, trained eye, and tools to quickly identify and estimate the repair time and costs for any roof damage or areas of exposure that need to be fixed. To get a fast roof inspection and estimate, contact the roofing experts at RBS Construction & Roofing.
Central Florida’s Roof Maintenance and Safety Experts
With 35 years of experience in the roofing industry, the professionals at RBS Construction & Roofing provide high-quality roofing inspections to assess the state of your roof and identify any necessary repairs. Our team of skilled roofers and veteran craftsmen also provide superior residential and commercial roof installations, replacements, and repairs in the Central Florida area.