With many designs to choose from and durable materials that can last for generations, tile roofing is a cost-effective option for your home. Making it a classic and popular choice among many homeowners. However, there are benefits and drawbacks to every roofing material that you should be aware of before investing. To help you make the right purchase for your home, here are some of the pros and cons of traditional tile roofing.
The Pros of Tile Roofing
Investing in a tile roof can provide you and your property with many aesthetically pleasing, cost-effective, and time-saving benefits such as:
- Durability – Tile roofs can last up to 100 years. Due to the durability of clay and concrete tiles, the structure stands firm when faced with extreme weather conditions.
- Resiliency – As opposed to wooden shingles, tiling roofing is impervious to rot, decay, and insect damage.
- Environmentally Friendly – Tile roof materials are made of earth minerals that can easily be recycled, whereas roofing manufactured with chemicals cannot.
- Energy-Efficiency – Indoor temperatures can be regulated due to the thermal mass of tile roofs.
- Low Maintenance – Because tile roofs rarely leak or require repairs, there is not much upkeep needed to maintain its quality.
- Personality – Tile roofing can be made of clay, concrete, or slate. Each option is also available in a variety of colors and a wide selection of styles to coincide with the look of your home.
The Cons of Tile Roofing
While they may not outweigh the pros, tile roofing can have its share of disadvantages that include:
- Higher Cost – Clay and slate tiles are very costly compared to average asphalt shingle roofing. A clay tile roof costs anywhere between $675 to $1,400 per square and slate tiles cost between $1,000 and $4,000. In terms of expenses, concrete tiles cost much less at $400 to $450 per square.
- Heavy Weight – Whereas an asphalt roof can weigh 225 to 325 pounds per square, tile roofs can range from 850 to 950 pounds per square, therefore it is vital to ensure that your structure can withstand such a heavyweight.
- Breakability – While the material of tile roofs are very durable, the tiles can break when impacted by large objects, particularly hail.
- Not Slope-Friendly – Tile roofs are not generally suitable for sloped structures.
- Difficult to DIY Install – The process of installing a tile roof can get costly and lengthy if you attempt to do it on your own. To ensure tiles roofs are installed properly and of exceptional quality, professional roofing contractors must be hired.
Expert Tile Roof Installation, Repair, and Replacement Services
The team at RBS Construction & Roofing provides high-quality roofing services for any need, including tile roofing. Our tile roofing services include:
- New Tile Roof Construction
- Tile Roof Installation
- Tile Roof Inspections
- Tile Roof Repairs
- Tile Roof Replacements
- Wide Tile Roof Selection
Your Central Florida Tile Roofing Professionals
With 35 years of experience in the roofing industry, RBS Construction & Roofing is a locally- and family-owned and operated roofing business in Orlando, Florida. Our team of veteran craftsmen provides superior residential and commercial tile roof installations and repairs in the Central Florida area.