The cost of replacing or repairing a roof varies greatly depending on the type of materials you use. Just like any other building material, you’ll find that spending a little extra can go a long way in the longevity of the product. Roofs are no different—the pricier the material, the longer it tends to last. However, that doesn’t mean price point is the only factor at play when choosing the best roofing material for your home; factors like installation cost and overall lifetime value should also contribute to your decision-making process.
With all this in mind, deciding between so many different materials can be overwhelming. To get you started, here are all the details on the best roofing materials for longevity and durability.
8 Strong and Long-Lasting Roofing Materials
- Asphalt Roll Roofing – This type of asphalt roofing comes in large rolls that are laid out in sheets. Asphalt roll roofing works best on flat or low pitched roofs and is relatively easy to install. The typical cost is around $2.25 per square foot, making it a relatively cheap roofing option. However, compared to other roofing materials, asphalt roll roofing doesn’t hold up as it will need to be replaced every 5 to 10 years.
- Built-Up Roofing (BUR) – Layering fiberglass, tar, and felt, built-up roofing is literally built up upon itself, layer-by-layer. This option is typically used for flat roofs and averages around $4 per square foot. Built-up roofing is relatively durable too—a typical BUR roof lasts around 20 or 30 years.
- Composite Asphalt Shingle Roofing – Composite asphalt shingles are the most popular and common type of residential roofing material for a reason. These roofs are cost effective, easy to install, and extremely durable. Asphalt shingle roofing can be made out of a variety of different materials, which affects the cost and longevity of the roof. That being said, the average cost is still on the low end of the spectrum at around $5 per square foot.
- Clay Tile Roofing – Clay tiles are a great option for strength and durability. Typically made from heavy terracotta, your new clay roof will need extra strong framing to hold the weight of the tiles. The average cost for the tiles alone is $15 per square foot. Laying the roof and preparing it to handle the added weight can take a lot of extra time and money. But if done correctly, clay tile roofs can last for well over 100 years.
- Concrete Tile Roofing – Concrete tiles are similar to clay tiles in terms of strength and durability. Concrete roofs also last upwards of 100 years when well maintained, but typically cost a little less at $10 per square foot.
- Wood Shake Shingle Roofing – Made of thickly cut wood, wood shake shingles are extremely durable, but will require professional help to lay. With regular cleaning and replacement of split shingles, wood shake shingle roofing can last around 35 to 40 years. These shingles are on the higher end of the cost spectrum, running about $13 per square foot.
- Metal Roofing – Typically made of steel, aluminum, zinc or copper, metal roofs are durable, beautiful and easy to install. These roofs are estimated to last for 35 to 50 years, but with regular maintenance could easily hold up for 75 years. Depending on which metal you choose, the price for materials can run anywhere from $10 to $18 per square foot.
- Slate Roofing – Unlike clay or concrete roofs, which are formed from wet sentiment and fired, slate roofs are made from flat slabs of naturally occurring rock. These roofs stand the test of time, lasting over 100 years in many cases. Although it is the most durable option, a slate roof can also be the most expensive—costing anywhere from $30 to $75 per square foot.
Choosing the best roofing material for your home can be a challenge. Fortunately, the trained professionals at RBS Construction & Roofing know how to help you choose the right material for your needs and budget.
Call the Best Roofing Material Experts in Central Florida
With 35 years of experience in the roofing industry, RBS Construction & Roofing’s team of veteran craftsmen provides superior residential and commercial roof installations and repairs in the Central Florida area. If you are in need of high-quality and affordable roofing services, call the professionals at RBS Construction & Roofing today at 407-859-8163 to schedule a free roof estimate consultation.